Tuesday, March 20, 2018

How to Get Rid of Acne on Back of Neck

I used to have many horrid acne bumps on the back of my neck, in the hairline. They were not visible due to my medium-length hair, but still itched and would sometimes bleed.

Don't pick at the acne.
Never pick at acne. That is one reason my acne bled. It will also lead to scars. Furthermore, this will lead to difficulty applying the acne creams (discussed later) to the area, because it is best not to do so on open skin.

Use an acne-treating cream.
What worked best for me was benzoyl 2 percent strength from Neutrogena. It is called "On-the-spot." It can be found at Target or "that big blue store" (which I don't support due to receipt searches, which, by the way, are usually optional, since they have no search warrant.) It is around 6 dollars. I apply it at night and it works great. It cleared my acne in the region in maybe 4 days or so.

If your acne is more stubborn, do consider twice a day.

I do not suggest anything higher that 3 percent. Studies show anything higher is not necessarily more effective (just like exercising too much may lead to overuse injury or fatigue.)

If you've been picking (stop!) then maybe use Vaseline or Neosporin to treat until they close. They are made for open wounds. Some dermatologists say Vaseline is better, as lower risk of negative interactions (due to fewer ingredients, possibly.) To be honest, I never used either, and was desperate so one time put the benzoyl on a slightly bleeding acne bump. Nothing horrible happened, but I do believe it says not to put on open wounds, so it can be risky.

Bear in mind benzoyl may damage colored clothing or pillowcases etc, so consider white pillowcases, or just cover with a towel. Also, allow the cream to air-dry to minimize risk (doesn't take long.)

A warm (not too hot, which may be drying your skin out) shower may help get rid crusted blood, and allow the acne cream to help better.

Consider a benzoyl peroxide shower wash.
I use Neutrogena Rapid Clear, which has 10 percent benzoyl. This is higher than the 2.5 percent limit I mentioned earlier, but doesn't seem to irritate my skin, and because it washes off anyway, I feel it is ok.

Don't touch your neck.
That irritates acne, and hands usually have lots of germs.

Consider changing your diet.
Getting rid of processed sugars, and following a diet which minimizes inflammation and insulin-spikes is good for overall health. The people of Kitava have little to no acne. Low-insulin spikes may play a role. It is a small island.

No comments:

Post a Comment