Tuesday, November 19, 2013

How To Use An Oven to Save A Water-Damaged iPhone

I've put my iPhone in the oven two times now, all in the name of saving it from water damage. It's worked perfectly both times with no adverse affects.

Please note, I take no responsibility if something goes horribly, horribly wrong with your phone. I've used this on my iPhone 4. Here's how.

Get a container you can put in the oven (glassware is great.) Put a bunch of rice in there (enough to cover a phone.) Turn off the iPhone (doesn't matter if battery is charged or not, I've tried it both ways), and make sure to take off any case (except those clear sticker cases, which are ok) and stick the iPhone in there so that it is completely covered in the rice, INCLUDING ON THE BOTTOM. You do not want your iPhone touching anything but rice. I suggest white rice, but not sure if any other type would be bad. This will prevent the hotter-to-the-touch glass from contacting the phone.

So stick your phone in the oven and turn it on. I have used convection and normal bake modes. Honestly I think the convection method worked better. If you don't have that, the normal mode should be ok. Set it to the lowest temperature, which is for me 170 degrees. I'd suggest not over 180. 200 is an absolute keep-your-fingers-crossed maximum, for my money.

How long? I'd say increments of 20 minutes. Once I forgot it and it was in there for 40 minutes straight. No worries, but stay on the safe side. Just check it out, make sure battery acid hasn't exploded everywhere (or, that it's not TOO hot to the touch; it should be kinda hot like you left it in the sun a long time, but you should still be able to handle it.) Unless you dropped it in the toilet or some other embarrassing thing, the phone should be good to go after 20 to 30 minutes, depending on convection methods etc.

How do I feel comfortable doing this?
I have been in the sauna at the gym before, where it gets up to 180 degrees. The worst thing that happened is my phone showed a exclamation point warning and locked the phone until it cooled down. For the iPhone in oven method, just turn it off, then wait for it to cool down before using.

To cool down your phone: DO NOT stick it in the freezer or refrigerator. There be moisture in there. You can let it cool down on its own, or take it in your hands and let the heat transfer away to you.

Why rice?
Rice has natural drying properties. Some water damage phone guides say to use only rice, but that is unnecessarily long.

The problems I solved with my phone:
One time when it was really damaged and showed only some strange blue screen with garbled colors.
Another time (today, actually) when it was possessed (by water), and it was doing all sorts of random home-button functions (mostly sending me to Voice Control or whatever it's called.
 

Any questions, I'm happy to answer.

16 comments:

  1. Hey, thanks for the tips...it worked perfectly for me too at 170C :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. darn, tried 2 times and no luck!! thanks for the help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry it didn't help you out JC. Maybe try a bit longer? Sometimes it's taken 40-60 minutes. The rice is important, since it absorbs moisture by itself, oven or not. I'd also leave it in rice while I sleep, then more oven therapy the next day.

      Delete
  3. I did the process twice an it still won't turn on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The best way to recover data from broken, dead or water damaged iPhone is restoring backup file. Users can take the help of iTunes utility in order to backup or restore iPhone data with ease. In case if you are facing any kind of issue with iTunes then in such situation you will have to opt for third party iPhone Recover Software in order to recover all lost iPhone files.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really appreciate the kind of topics you post here. Thanks for sharing us a great information that is actually helpful. Good day! water damage repair

    ReplyDelete
  6. My iPhone 6S was glitching from being in my rain soaked pocket, rice overnight did not work (completely). I turned my oven on to 200 and put my phone in on a cookie sheet, then googled 'drying phone with oven'. I quickly reduced the temp to 180 when I saw this post, and left it in an additional 20 minutes. After it cooled off, it needed to be charged. It is currently functioning fine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did 20 mins at 170c, and while that didn't immediately seem to work, two days later the phone came back to life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing the info, keep up the good work going.... I really enjoyed exploring your site. good resource... 24 hour truck tire repair

    ReplyDelete
  9. It worked!! Thanks for the info. 170 degrees for 20 min x2 in a meatloaf glassware dish with rice and its working great today :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. fucking brilliant...oven method works👊

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the blog loaded with so many information. Stopping by your blog helped me to get what I was looking for. OVEN REPAIR IN CHINO

    ReplyDelete
  12. good content. very informative. the fix helped me out a lot with my broken phone if anyone's looking for a reliable place. you should check them out.
    The FIX - South Shore Plaza
    250 Granite St, Braintree MA 02184
    781-428-1121

    ReplyDelete
  13. You actually dealt with several engaging things in this article. I came across it by using Bing and I’ve got to admit that I am now subscribed to your website, it is very decent (: do iphone 7 plus cases fit iphone 8 plus

    ReplyDelete