Friday, September 6, 2013

How to Fix Errors Related to ImageMagick When Using Paperclip

While following along with a Team Treehouse tutorial on Installing Paperclip, I was getting a Paperclip::Errors::NotIdentifiedByImageMagickError. This would happen whenever trying to upload an avatar or change an image album.

What went wrong first: On the ImageMagick page, under Binary Windows Installations, I first used ImageMagick-6.8.6-9-Q16-x86-dll.exe. However, after much difficulty I could not get that to work in Treebook. The program "IMDisplay" would run normally on my PC, once I clicked the desktop file, but it was not working at all for my online purposes.

In the end, I deleted that installation (Windows Uninstall.) Going back to the IM download page (binary, windows, same page as before) I instead elected to go for ImageMagick-6.8.6-9-Q16-x64-dll.exe. I am running Windows 8 x64, so that seemed more suitable (the descriptions on the same page say which are Win32 and which are Win64.)

 An interesting note: I did not shut down any other running apps during my first installation of IM. It did "recommend" this, but I did not elect to do it. However, on the second approach, with a different installation, I closed all other apps, being extra cautious.

Once I began installing IM for the second time, I carefully read all notes. I ran the following in a bare (not "rubified") CMD window (In Windows 8, Run>CMD). (These are per the instructions that can be found in the IM install wizard, once it is successful.)

First type: C:\Users\MyAdminUsername>convert wizard: wizard.jpg
Hit enter, then type: C:\Users\MyAdminUsername>convert wizard.jpg win:

After "convert wizard: wizard.jpg" it won't really say anything, and will just give the "C:\ ..." prompt again. However keep going with the second "convert..." command as mentioned above. Then it will open the converted file, showing a successful installation.

No comments:

Post a Comment